I’m a young South Australian who has had a passion for bikes since I could walk. With my parents meeting on individual cycle tours through Tasmania over 30 years ago you could say bike touring is in my blood! I took on my first bike tour when I was 14 with Dad, a week-long loop of Kangaroo Island, SA and from there I was hooked! In 2016 I embarked on my first solo tour in Tasmania for 2 weeks and then 9 months later only hours after graduating high school I was on a plane to spend 3 weeks touring New Zealand’s South Island.
From there, things ramped up, a lot. In 2018 I left home as an 18 year old and embarked on a lap of the world. 13 months later I returned much older, wiser, and having cycled 39 100km across 32 counties and 4 continents, solo. As a result of this, I was awarded Australian Geographic’s Young Adventurer of the year in 2019. It was also where I began to share my story through speaking. Visiting schools, corporate organisations, and bikes shops around Australia sharing my story of cycling the world, the lessons I learned, and the person I became.
Now my passion for bikes continues to grow and my itch for adventure by bike is stronger than ever, looking local to Australian desert roads or global missions, exploring by bike is where I feel the happiest.
- Kangarilla, South Australia
- Instagram / Website
- @jimmy_ashby / www.jimmyashbyaroundtheworldbybike.com
- Cycled 39,100 km around the world as a teenager
- Australian Geographic Young Adventurer of the Year 2019
- Unsupported bike crossings of the Strzelecki, Oodnadatta & Birdsville Track, Plenty HWY and Anne Beadell Highway
- Ran the South Coast Hiking Track, Tasmania in a day
- Ground Effect Cycle Clothing
- Treadlite Bike Bags
- EightyOne Spices
- Curve Cycling
- Australian Geographic
- Favourite Ride
Razor-Back Ridge into The Wilcolo Track, Wilpena Pound Flinders Ranges.